I came across this plane around Thanksgiving but because of the rough shape. it has taken me a while to get it in working order because of the broken frog. I found one on Ebay and have been able to finish it up.
Aside from finding the frog, the most time-consuming part of this was restoration was the tote. It had a great grain pattern so I wanted to save it. A previous owner did a terrible job fixing a crack so I repaired a crack in the middle with epoxy and sawdust. I also needed to replace the tail. I had a few small pieces of cocobolo but it wasn’t a good match decided to go out on a limb and try to match the grain pattern instead of the color and I like out it turned out. I used Zebrawood and exaggerated the tail.
A pic of the body and broken frog. I will never understand why so many people decided to paint directly over their planes!
Hack on on the handle with nails
I made the tail of the tote with zebrawood and finished it with Danish Oil and wax.