LumberJocks

Chevalet Build

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by Mike Lingenfelter updated 01-20-2014 09:51 PM 8 parts 14124 reads 56 comments total

Part 1: Getting the lumber

10-06-2013 10:28 PM by Mike Lingenfelter | 6 comments »

It’s been awhile since I’ve posted here on LumberJocks, but because there seems to be interest in the Chevalet here, I thought this would be best place to chronicle my Chevalet build. I decided to pick up a Chevalet kit from Patrick Edwards. It came with full-size drawings, which was great. Although having full-size drawings in a small shop, was a little cumbersome. So, I decided to convert Patrick’s plans into a SketchUp model. I still have a few tweaks to finish on ...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Starting the build

11-19-2013 01:41 AM by Mike Lingenfelter | 5 comments »

After getting the lumber, I had a fair amount of milling to do. Then I also had to laminate quite a few pieces together, to get the thicknesses I needed. Once all that was done, I was able to start the actual build. I’m starting with the main upright support post and the foot/base. The base has a step in it, to create the feet. I used a Forstner Bit to create the ends of the the step. I also started to hogged out the Mortise for the Upright support, while at the Drill Press. ...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Working on the seat

12-16-2013 12:45 AM by Mike Lingenfelter | 9 comments »

I had productive weekend in the shop, and made some good progress on the Chevalet. I mostly work on the seat this weekend, and now it’s starting to look like something recognizable. The base was a little bit of a challenge, with the angled back leg and the through tenons. The because the leg is angled, the through mortises are also angled. I drilled out the bulk of the waste then chiseled the mortise using an angled guide block to help. I had a little blowout when drill...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Arm Support

12-23-2013 03:56 PM by Mike Lingenfelter | 11 comments »

I’m making some good progress on the Chevalet. The Arm and Frame Support are almost complete. The only thing left to do, is to add the diagonal support for the Frame Support. I just ran out of time last night when I was finishing up. When I started to work on the Triple Tenon for the frame support post, I thought if it was really needed. It was a challenge to pull off, but after completing it I understand why it was used. The post so rock solid you could run a tank into it and i...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Pressure Roller

12-24-2013 03:45 PM by Mike Lingenfelter | 6 comments »

The Pressure Roller and Clapping Jaws came together quickly. Making the pressure roller was the most work, but I came up an “easier” way to make it. I’ve seen others make this out one large piece of wood, but that seemed like a waste of wood and a lot of work. I started by cutting out the center of pressure roller, using a template from my SketchUp drawing. Then for the “ears” I found a hole saw that was about the right size. I cut the ears from a thick piec...

Read this entry »


Part 6: Saw Frame

12-25-2013 07:33 PM by Mike Lingenfelter | 4 comments »

One of the last major pieces for the Chevalet is the Saw Frame. It needs to be: strong, light, and a little bit “flexible”. I’m making mine out of Ash. For the arms, I tried to find pieces with the straightest grain. The arms are attached to the crossmember using a “multi-finger” bridle joint. My hand sawing skills still need some practice, so for this joint I chose to use the table saw. I have to say, using the table saw and all of the set up I had to do,...

Read this entry »


Part 7: Tuning up the Chevy

01-05-2014 01:46 AM by Mike Lingenfelter | 14 comments »

This final blog post is a little overdue. I finished the Chevalet build a little over a week ago, but I ran into some issues getting it to cut properly. Yesterday I found the root of my problem and today I finished up the final tuning. When I was first starting to tune the Chevalet, I was having have an issue with it cutting straight. I thought maybe the blade clamps might be twisted a bit, so I thought I would give them a little twist to straighten them up. Well I was a little too fir...

Read this entry »


Part 8: Mobility

01-20-2014 09:51 PM by Mike Lingenfelter | 1 comment »

The last tweak on the Chevalet was to make it more mobile. I have a small garage shop, and it’s getting a little tight on space. Most of my larger tools are on some sort of mobile base, so I can shift things around. Over on the Chevalet Clubhouse, I posted a comment on making a Chevalet more mobile. Both dbray45 and shipwright were helpful in me finding a good solution to make the Chevalet mobile. It was quick and easy, and reversible if needed. I’ve started to cut...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com