Here is a quick update on attaching the face vise. This last weekend I worked on a mockup of the face vise. I thought it best to practice on some cheap lumber instead of the nicer wood I’m planning to use. I didn’t take any pictures of the mockup process, but I will do some detailed pictures when I do the final assembly.
I picked up a standard 2×10 “construction” grade stud at my local Lowe’s and started to lay things out. It was good I decided to mock this up, because there were a few things I needed to change. First, you can’t it in the picture but where I placed the holes for the screws, in the chop, are too close to the bottom. When I put the garters on, the garters were right on the bottom edge. I’d like to see a little relief on the bottom, maybe about a ¼”.
Here is a close-up the garter installed around the screw.
The next change will be how I attach what I’m calling the washers. These are the blocks that are attached to bench and the nuts are attached to the back of them.
When Christopher Schwarz attached his blocks to his bench he used through bolts, through the top of his bench. I thought I would try lag bolts up through bottom. I thought I could hide the bolts and not see them from the top. I made sure the lag bolts didn’t go all the way to surface. I wanted to leave some room for future surfacing. I think I went in over a 1.5”, but that wasn’t far enough. After attaching the vise, I played around with it. You can apply so much pressure with these screws, with very little effort, you can pull those nuts right off of the bench! So, I think I’m going to change to bolts, and also dowel the “washers” into the side of the leg to give it even more support.
If you saw Christopher Schwarz design, you might have noticed that he didn’t extend his washers/nuts all of the way to the leg. I thought it might be a good idea to do this. It should give more support to piece that is clamped into the vise. It also allows me to dowel them into the leg, for even more support.
Because the mockup took most of the weekend, I didn’t get very far on the final install. I was able to get the chop glued up and the washers milled up. I had some Oak leftover from another project, so I used that for the chop. I had some Maple leftover that I used for the washers. The next couple of weekends will be busy with family stuff and my own birthday ☺. So, it might be a few weeks before you see the final installation.