This last weekend I was able to get all of the lumber milled up and I started to glue-up the top. Dorje and I did a pretty good job picking out the lumber. There were very few knots I had to deal with. The small ones you might see in the photo are very close to the surface. It’s likely they will be milled out when I flatten the top.
Here is the first glue-up. It’s the front of the bench with the dog holes. I also got 2 other sections glued up.
You might be asking what that whole is at the top. That’s where I will be putting the Wagon for the Wagon Vise. I’ll be gluing the top in sections. This will allow me to get good clamping pressure on the laminated sections. I’m keeping the first glue-up under 6”, so that I can run it over my jointer to flatten the glue-up. I’ll then glue-up 2 sections which will be under 12”. This will allow me to run it through my planer, one last time.
I won’t have a lot of time over the next couple of weekends to work on the bench, but I hope I can at least get the last couple of sections glued up. After that, I should be heading down the home stretch.