About two years ago, when I first started woodworking, I attempted a blanket box that came together with the help of a friend (thanks Dan). Unfortunately, we ended up moving and I didn’t have shop to finish the project in – and after a while it slipped into another time-zone. The construction was complete, but it’s still ‘raw’ wood with no stain/varnish/protection of any kind.
The problem is that in that two year period, the chest has been in and out of garages, basements and rooms and the top is now ‘dis-jointed’. I did a pretty good job on joining the boards, but I had a ‘frame’, kind of, of poplar with mitre joints around the lid that have since expanded, leaving a gap in the mitre. Argh!
So, now that I have a shop, I’m determined to finally finish this project the way it should’ve been done to begin with.
I’m going to put together a new top/lid for the chest. It’s all going to be one one section of 5 lengths of Poplar – forget the mitre joints – I’m just not good enough with knowing wood movement to compensate for it at this time.
I’ve got the wood, now just determining the final dimensions and how I’m going to tackle this to make it work. The wood is dressed (that’s the word, isn’t it) from HD, so I’m thinking of cutting the lengths approximate. Gluing it all together and clamping. When dry, cut to final dimension and then using a smoothing plane or scrapers (neither of which I have) to ensure that it’s all flat and smooth. At least I think that’s the route I need to follow.
I’ve got another day or so to think about it and will tackle it this weekend.
-- Mike Guilbault, Penetanguishene, Ontario