First up in this project is to sort through the wood I have available and find pieces that I want to use for each part. As I mentioned in part 1 the wood im using i salvaged from a house remodeling project and its some sort of pine and some douglas fir. here is what im working with
Some of the wood is really dirty with caked on dirt and grime along with some roofing tar (these pieces were in the attic). not sure that i wanted to subject my planer and jointer to that much abuse i decided to build a jig to clean off the boards before running them through the machines.
in hindsight i think it would have been fine to run the boards through but my jointer is only 6” wide so not only did this process clean the boards it also gave me a flat surface for the planer on the wider boards.
i made the mistake of cutting some of the boards to length before running them through the planer which is a problem because my planer has a tendency to snipe pretty badly. i had to think of a way to get all the boards the same thickness so i came up with this idea. i used a hotglue gun and stuck on 2 strips of wood to the side of the piece i needed to plane, this worked like a charm. i saw this idea in a magazine somewhere
my camera batteries died after this pic was taken so i didnt get a pic of the boad coming out of the planer but here it is after the strips were removed
this piece will be the front apron and drawer front for the table. im cutting the drawer front out of the single piece to keep the grain running through the whole front. i went ahead and cut the drawer front out by cutting the piece into 5 pieces, removing the center section and glueing the remainder back together
then i figured out what boards to use for the top and got that glued up
next up i cut the legs. i used the doug fir 2×4 to make the legs and i should mention here I DO NOT like working with douglas fir! It has the tendency to splinter quite badly. i had heard this before but didnt realize just how bad it really was.
after the legs were cut i began working on the dovetails on the end of the legs
and then i did the tapers on the legs by building a simple taper jig
after that was done i began work on the dovetails on the ends of the aprons
this was done simply by standing the boards on their ends and running them along my tricked out custom router fence
next up i did the slots that will hold the tenons on the drawer slides/guides
i then turned my attention to some assembly as norm would say. i routered the joinery for the drawer and put it together. it uses sliding dovetails with some glue to hold it all together
finally im ready for a dry fit of everything so far
here is the way the drawer slides fit into the table
lastly here is the drawer fit into the table with a nearly perfect gap around its edges. im really happy with the way it turned out
Thats all for now, hope you guys like it