LumberJocks

Table Saw Upgrade

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by MikeGCNY updated 1237 days ago 9 parts 19396 reads 35 comments total

Part 1: Pickup and Carry Down

1292 days ago by MikeGCNY | 2 comments »

Picked up a 5HP Powermatic 66 and a Rockwell Unisaw (with vintage Biesemeyer fences) last weekend. I am keeping the Powermatic and will be restoring it. Unisaw: Powermatic 66 (with a 65 Mustang) I stripped the 66 down and carried the components down into my basement. I was a pain-in-the-... getting the cabinet down. Luckily I have a exterior cement staircase and a good hand truck. The Powermatic has what looks like a fairly new 3 phase Baldor motor in it. It ca...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Strip, Prime, Paint

1285 days ago by MikeGCNY | 6 comments »

This weekend I decided to strip the Powermatic 66 and the 2 Beisemeyer fence systems and prime and paint them. I was hoping to keep the stripes on the saw, but the decals were tool badly damaged and I do not have the time to paint new ones on. I also was not able to match the original color, but I came “close”. (I keep telling myself, “It is a saw, not your 65 Mustang,”) I still need to finish up some of the paint on the edges of the top, mount the fence rails, at...

Read this entry »


Part 3: On the Fence and Need Some Help

1284 days ago by MikeGCNY | 6 comments »

I spent a few hours last night disassembling the 2 Biesemeyer T-Squares and removing the laminated plywood faces. Besides a nasty splinter in my thumb, the process left me with a bigger problem: How to re-face the T-Squares. I do not want to purchase the Beisemeyer replacement face. They are too expensive and there is just something fundamentally wrong with a woodworker paying 70 dollars for a 3×42 piece of laminated ply. I have come up with the following options, but am not sure wh...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Powering a 5HP Monster with Single Phase Power

1281 days ago by MikeGCNY | 6 comments »

So, just as I suspected, the 66 came with a fairly new 5 horse 3 phase Baldor motor. (Yeah Me!) I was able to figure this out by calling Baldor’s customer service and reading them through the different numbers on the motor plate. As it turns out, the motor is only 2 years old. The saw is 22. As many of you know from reading other posting on Lumberjocks, there are several options to consider when your shop simply has single phase power and your machinery requires 3 phase power. The ...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Putting it Back Together

1279 days ago by MikeGCNY | 5 comments »

I spent some time this weekend finishing up the paint and putting the saw back together. I will take some more photos with my SLR (I took these with my phone and the quality is not so great) and post later in the week when I make some more progress. Biesemeyer Fence Here is the Biesemeyer T-Square getting its paint: Here are the fence rails getting their paint: My Daughter Olivia with the Powermatic 66 She can’t wait until it is done because we are going to build...

Read this entry »


Part 6: VFD Soft Start in Action

1264 days ago by MikeGCNY | 4 comments »

I finished wiring the Variable Frequency Drive this weekend. I made a video of the VFD in action. Video Here is the VFD and Disconnect The SawHere is a picture of the saw with the re-surfaced Beisemeyer Fence. I used a sheet of 3/16 UHMW Polyethylene laminate. I cannot believe the cost of the wiring. For this and my band saw I spent close to 400 dollars on wire and breakers.

Read this entry »


Part 7: Alignment and New Blade

1250 days ago by MikeGCNY | 3 comments »

I finished aligning the saw this weekend and built some cabinets with it. I replaced the Amana blade that I had on this saw with a Ridge Carbide TS2000. All I can saw is “WOW!” I like this blade even better than the WW II that I had on my contractor saw. I made a little video of the new blade in action.

Read this entry »


Part 8: The First Fence

1243 days ago by MikeGCNY | 1 comment »

This is the first of my 2 Biesemeyer fences that I am restoring. For this one, I purchases some UHMW polyethylene from McMaster-Carr. I used a 1/2 inch forstner bit to drill out the countersinks and then screwed the material to the fence using the original screws. I then spent close to 3 hours shimming the back of the fence so it is flat to about 0.004. I am not sure what the factory tolerances are on a Biesmeyer. The fence is now very slick and is great to use. With this and the 5 hp ...

Read this entry »


Part 9: Mini Outfeed and Extension Table

1237 days ago by MikeGCNY | 2 comments »

I built the extension and a mini outfeed table today. I used all left over ply and hardboard and finished it off with a few coats of poly. I built the mini outfeed table so that the fence has a consistent surface to run across from right to left. Without this, it would ride on cast iron and hardboard; now it just rides on hardboard. The outfeed table that I am building will be on casters and will latch onto the mini outfeed table with some rubber latches.

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase