This is the start of some built-ins that I am building for my 7 month old daughter Kate’s room. This is the first project that I am designing it in Sketchup.
Our house is 83 years old and we don’t have much closet space. In Kate’s bedroom the closet conceals the attic staircase; so using the closet pretty much cuts off access to the attic. So to make up for the lack of a closet, we decided to build a wall of built-ins. The final plans call for a dresser with a hutch, a toy-box / window seat, and a closet for hanging clothes. I am also matching the base molding for the built-in to the existing base molding in the room.
Here is the start of it in Sketchup:
Here is the toy-box in sketch-up without the base molding:
This is an exploded version of the toy-box: This picture actually contains a mistake in the dimensions that were caused by nothing other than my own laziness in sketchup. I should have spotted it before I cut the ply and attempted to assemble the case.
Here is the toy-box case during assembly
And here is the base in the bedroom. I built this with a monster pile of 8’ x 10” cull ply that I found at the HD. I covered in in some 1/2 inch ply that I had: