Yesterday I bought my first saddle (for my Cowboy Action Shooting activities) and need a place to put it. So I went out and purchased some 1×3x6 Red Oak from Lowes, for the cross members. I had some 1×12x4 Red Oak already at the house so with those pieces I built a back, a front and cut all my cross member pieces (10 to be exact). Used a counterset on all the screw entry points and used 1×5/8 drywall screws (they bite very well). Today i am working on the stand – I want it to be able to hold my weight as well as the saddle weight (just in case I have to adjust a stirrup before a mounted session). Can’t decide if I want a trestle type middle piece and just standard feet or elaborate feet.
More to follow….
Been a day or so since I worked on the stand. I’ll get some photo’s up this weekend. I started to round the edges of my 1×3’s today (got 6 of 10 completed). Rounding both sides (right and left) but leaving the bottoms straight so it will fit better on the platform. So I have two (front and back) 1×6 pieces that are connected by 10 1×3x24 which stand on 2 1×6x36 with 1×6 feet. It is getting very heavy right now but it sure does look nice. Put the legs on with clamps (2 pieces of 1×6 red oak) and cut some bottoms for them. It really looks nice but I think I cut the 1×3’s too short (oh well – it will make a good starting project and then a good kids saddle tree).