LumberJocks

Workbench

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by MedicKen updated 09-06-2011 10:54 PM 4 parts 5312 reads 27 comments total

Part 1: New workbench getting started

08-05-2011 04:02 AM by MedicKen | 6 comments »

Now that I have a table saw again its time to get going on a few projects. First on the list is a new workbench. It will be solid maple that I picked up from fellow LJ, John Ormsby a little over a year ago. John had some really nice 8/4 kiln dried maple at a good price so I came with about 500bf. More than enough for a bench. I pulled some of the maple out today and got started milling it up for the legs. The wood was nice and flat and really didn’t need to be jointed. So, I didnR...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Progress made

08-31-2011 05:56 AM by MedicKen | 6 comments »

I need to apologize for not updating on the workbench build. Between work and the lack of a camera I have not been real good at updating. When we last left off I had milled the stock for the legs. Well, the legs and stretchers are all done. But, I don’t have a picture of them completed. I will be able to get that tomorrow. I do have another update though. I have milled all the stock for the top, glued and flattened. The top was made in 2 sections so that I could pass them through ...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Top finished...well almost

09-02-2011 11:05 PM by MedicKen | 5 comments »

I have spent the past couple of days trying to get a little more done on my new bench. For the most part the top is finished. I added another few strips of maple to it and capped off the ends with some walnut. The ends are held in place with a tongue and a couple of 5/16”x4” lag screws. No glue was used as I didnt want to have a problem with movement later. Next will be gluing up the trestle assembly and then vises. First though will be trip to a local cabinet shop with the top fo...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Getting closer

09-06-2011 10:54 PM by MedicKen | 10 comments »

I spent a few hours the past couple of days getting the base of the bench glued together and pegged. I used 1/2” walnut pegs at all the tenon locations. Here is the bench with the top sitting on it. I still have to put the front apron on and mount the front vise and then construct the tail vise. I will be a week or so before I can get to it, work tomorrow.

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase