Well, I have decided to restore my Crescent 8” jointer. I was going to sell it and make a swap for an Oliver 8” but figured it would be an even swap. If I am gonna sell it, it will be for an upgrade and I don’t have the room for a 12” at this time.
The jointer is in decent shape given its age, its about 90 yrs old. I was starting to have a few issues with it so its time. It is a belt driven machine powered with a really nice 2hp replusion start Fairbanks Morse motor. The belts were beginning to come apart so they needed replacement. They are covered with a home made cover that was really well done, and a PITA to get off. The cutter head bearings were also starting to make a little noise so I knew it was time for those to go as well.
For those who don’t remember, here is what I am starting with
During dis-assembly I noticed a lot more rust than originally thought. Albeit surface rust it needs to go. After about 45 minutes here is where we are
I have also spent some time working on the main casting as the smaller parts take their turn in the spooge tank. One of the things that I did not like about the casting was the Crescent lettering. I figured it was a bad casting job as the lettering was almost unreadable. I used a knotted wire wheel on a 4” grinder and removed all the loose paint. Back when the machine was built they used a black filler, similar to bondo, to fill casting imperfections. It is really nasty and difficult to remove. I decided not to remove all the filler if it was still well adheared. I did find that the lettering full of this filler and after an hour or so with a razor blade, dental pick and air driven wire brush this is where I am.
I have also spent 2 days with bondo getting the casting smoothed out. Pics to come soon
-- My job is to give my kids things to discuss with their therapist....firstname.lastname@example.org