Workbench #2: Progress made

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by MedicKen posted 08-31-2011 05:56 AM 2009 reads 1 time favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 1: New workbench getting started Part 2 of Workbench series Part 3: Top finished...well almost »

I need to apologize for not updating on the workbench build. Between work and the lack of a camera I have not been real good at updating.

When we last left off I had milled the stock for the legs. Well, the legs and stretchers are all done. But, I don’t have a picture of them completed. I will be able to get that tomorrow. I do have another update though.

I have milled all the stock for the top, glued and flattened. The top was made in 2 sections so that I could pass them through the planer so they would be uniform in thickness. The top was rough milled to 2 5/8 and final dimension is 2 1/2”. Today I glued the 2 sections together.

I took extra care to make sure the twp pieces came together flat. I used a few scrap pieces of maple on the ends and clamps. The cauls are covered with packing tape so they didn’t stick to the top. The middle cauls are scrap doug fir that were jointed flat and also taped. It came out nice and flat.

-- My job is to give my kids things to discuss with their

6 comments so far

View 559dustdesigns's profile


633 posts in 3167 days

#1 posted 08-31-2011 06:52 AM

Ken, Thanks for sharing.
This bench is going to be a very useful addition to your shop.
Can’t wait to see the next post

-- Aaron - central California "If you haven't got the time to do it right, when will you find the time to do it over?"

View JRL's profile


104 posts in 2538 days

#2 posted 08-31-2011 12:10 PM

Looking very professional. The center strip—is that walnut? Exotic?
I’m still buzzing with how well that Oliver restoration turned out.

-- Jay in Changsha

View helluvawreck's profile


31096 posts in 2866 days

#3 posted 08-31-2011 01:14 PM

It looks like you’re really coming along on it and it looks real good. Congratulations.

-- helluvawreck aka Charles,

View MedicKen's profile


1615 posts in 3461 days

#4 posted 08-31-2011 03:58 PM

JRL….The center strip is walnut. I will also be adding a walnut skirt on the face/vise side of the top. I also have a few surprises that will be revealed later. The boards were ripped on the Oliver and I must say I had an ear to ear grin. It did not matter how fast I pushed the material I could not bog the saw down at all. The Oliver is awesome, it cut 8/4 maple without blinking. Now all I need is a good rip blade, all I have is a combo.

-- My job is to give my kids things to discuss with their

View JRL's profile


104 posts in 2538 days

#5 posted 08-31-2011 04:20 PM

Will be watching for the few surprises, to be sure. The walnut contrasts perfectly.

-- Jay in Changsha

View spunwood's profile


1202 posts in 2835 days

#6 posted 09-01-2011 04:39 AM

That is one fine clamp up and some good looking wood. Look foward to continuing progress.

-- I came, I was conquered, I was born again. ἵνα ὦσιν ἓν

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics