Now that I have a table saw again its time to get going on a few projects. First on the list is a new workbench. It will be solid maple that I picked up from fellow LJ, John Ormsby a little over a year ago. John had some really nice 8/4 kiln dried maple at a good price so I came with about 500bf. More than enough for a bench.
I pulled some of the maple out today and got started milling it up for the legs. The wood was nice and flat and really didn’t need to be jointed. So, I didn’t. It went straight to the planer. It was a full 2” thick and varied from 8-11 in width. After about 30 minutes of planing I was at a consistent 1 3/4” thick. The legs are going to be 3 1/2 square and I will face glue 2 of them together to make the legs.
I decided that being my table saw does not have any type of splitter I would rip the boards on the band saw. The part for the splitter on the saw is in the works but will take a while. I did not feel comfortable ripping the stock on the saw without some type of splitter. The band saw did a great job. I did mill them slightly over size so after gluing I can size them correctly.
I will glue them tomorrow after letting them sit over night. I dont think they will move much if at all. I have had the wood over a year and being kiln dried they should be nice and stable. But you never know.
Here is what I have set aside for the legs and part of the end assemblies.
-- My job is to give my kids things to discuss with their therapist....firstname.lastname@example.org