A little quick update on my progress. The weather here has been a little on the iffy side for painting lately. We have light rain off and on for the past 2 days so I decided to finish the motor. It was completely stripped of all paint and rust and then repainted a nice gloss black. I replaced the bearings and polished the old grease cups. I reassembled the motor and got it ready to run. A few weeks ago I ordered a new VFD to power the motor and it arrived late last week. I temporarily wired the motor and hit the switch. It started spinning really slowly, the VFD comes set at only 5Hz. I slowly increased the output and the motor spun up to speed very nicely. I let the motor run at full speed for about 30 minutes while clamped to the bench, its 3hp and all cast iron, I didn’t want it hitting the floor. After the test run I shut it down and it wasn’t even warm. One of the nice functions of the VFD is a slow start feature. I have set the motor to ramp up to full rpm over 3 seconds and also stop in 3 seconds. Without that feature the motor would free spin for almost 90 seconds!!
-- My job is to give my kids things to discuss with their therapist....firstname.lastname@example.org