The past few days things here have not been well. I have spent the last 48 hours in bed with one of the worst colds I think I have ever had. So, needless to say not much has been done with the saw. I am starting to feel a “little” better and decided I would attempt to get a few things done on the saw today.
I ordered the motor and thrust bearings a week ago from Lynne at Accurate and they showed up yesterday. I figured that would be a good project and would not take too much out of me. I already had the motor apart so I could get the bearings ordered. As I disassembled the motor and inspected it it looked like the way this motor was made it would be a PITA to re-assemble. I did not want to remove the windings and shields on the inside of the case. As it turns out I did remove the shields and windings and am glad I did. As I removed the arbor side I found this:
It looks like the protective lacquer was either hit by something or due to age was beginning to disintegrate. The same condition was also noted on the opposite end of the windings as well. I called my local motor shop and was informed they would take care of to the tune of $200!! I don’t think so. During the conversation the shop said I could use a liquid tape to cover the exposed parts without any ill effects. This is what was used:
I brushes on easily and dries in about 30 minutes.
I also removed the inner shield and found a hole that is drilled to allow the winding wires to exit the motor case. I did not like that the hole was not shielded in any way and that the wiring would be rubbing on bare metal. While I was looking for the sealer of the windings I bought a rubber grommet to protect the wiring.
The motor case is now in the spooge tank being stripped and will be removed tomorrow in prep for primer and paint. What little I did do today has already worn me out and now I need a nap.
-- My job is to give my kids things to discuss with their therapist....firstname.lastname@example.org