Well, I got a little more time in the shop today, and got a little more work done!
First, I sanded the interior surfaces of the box sides and botttom. It’s much easier to do this before the box is assembled. I started with 120 grit, then 150, and 220. Tage Frid said woodworkers sand too much, so I’m trying to cut down a little. I eliminated the 180 grit…......!
Next, I used the cutoff from the lid as a test board for 2 different coloring methods. First was mahogany-tinted Danish oil, second was Darrell Peart’s Greene & Greene stain formula.
The Danish oil:
Greene & Greene stain formula:
The lighting in my shop doesn’t seem to do justice to the colors in the photos. But, after seeing both in real life, I much prefer the look of the Greene & Green stain formula. It’s gonna look great underneath the finish!
Since the stain is water-based, the procedure is to raise the grain, sand it back, and then repeat this process. That way, the water-based stain won’t raise the grain very much when the stain is applied.
Lastly, I glued the feet pieces together. With their odd shapes, a rubber band turned out to be the best way to clamp them.
That’s all for today. Tomorrow, I’ll prep the box interiors for stain, then stain the bottom piece, and prepare for glue up!
See ya then!
-- Dean -- "Don't give up the ship -- fight her 'till she sinks!" Capt James Lawrence USN