Today I worked on the lid, and the feet.
I wanted a curved end for the lid, that overhangs the box by an inch or so. I looked at several radiuses for the curve, from a 1-gallon paint can to a shampoo bottle to a quart can of expired contact cement. I liked the contact cement can best, and laid out the curve.
Next, I cut the curve on the bandsaw, then sanded it smooth on the oscillating spindle sander.
Then I needed to notch out the curved end of the lid, so that the tongues on the sides of the lid didn’t stick out past the sides of the box when the lid was fully closed.
Donald Rumsfeld famously quipped that “You go to war with the army you have.” Well, I notched the lid with the only suitable saw I had—a flush-cut handsaw. (Someday, when I win the lottery, I’m gonna get a good dovetail saw…......!)
Once the lid was finished for now, I began work on the feet.
From the tail end of the original board my neighbor gave me, I ripped 3 workpieces, 3/4” x 3/4” from which to make the feet. I use a featherboard when ripping narrow strips to keep the workpiece tight against the fence so all I have to do is concentrate on not getting my pushstick chewed up by the blade
Then I cut all the feet 1 1/4” long, with a 45 degree miter cut.
I then sanded the curves in the show sides of the feet on the oscillating spindle sander.
Well, that’s all for today. As Norm would say, “We’re gaining on it!”
Tomorrow, I’ll build a jig to notch out the workpiece with the miters on each end, to cover up the exposed miters on the lid handle end of the box. Time permitting, I’ll notch out that workpiece.
See ya then!