I started the milling process today—and discovered that, with the original plan, I didn’t have enough wood in the board to make the box. So I modified the plan by making the box dimensions smaller. The box was going to be 7”L x 5”W, but will now be 5 1/2”L x 3 1/2”W.
With the box originally being 5” wide, I would have needed to glue up two smaller pieces to make the top and the bottom. By making the top and bottom 3 1/2” wide (the width of the board itself) I don’t need to glue up the top and bottom, reducing the wood needed by half!
I learned to mill stock to its final dimensions via a two-step process. First rough mill the wood to just over its final dimensions, and then sticker overnight. Next day, mill the stock to its final dimensions. This process seems really to keep the wood from moving around after final milling. If the wood moves around overnight after the rough milling, the finish milling will straighten it back out the next day.
Here are photos of the rough mill from today:
Jointing on face flat on the jointer:
Planing the board to about 1/8” oversized in the planer:
Tomorrow is finish milling, and cutting the stock for the box carcase.
See ya then!
-- Dean -- "Don't give up the ship -- fight her 'till she sinks!" Capt James Lawrence USN