Wow that first post got a little wordy (I should really learn to take more/better pictures) well moving right along.
So we have the upper shelf section done now with the design I am going for I want to tuck my vertical storage underneath it and behind my movable sheet goods cart. Depth here is going to be an issue (I have bid shop envy) as we still only have 2’ to work with so lets consider what kind of space that cart will take up. I have decided the base of my cart will be a 2×10 and to acheive the height we set out in the first post I will have to mount the casters to the side of it (I happened to have 2 medium/heavy duty casters just laying around and they measure 4” tall) so we have 10” (2×10 plus the sheeting on each side) and roughly 4” for the width of the caster with mount so 14” so if I make the vertical storage area about 6” deep that gives us just a little wiggle room, great. Hmm no 2×6’s off to the hardware store we go.
OK, so we now have 4 2”x6”x8’ and 2 2”x10”x8’ time to get back to work. First thing I did was cut a 2×4 to span under the verticals for the shelves, then cut the 4 2×6’s to 50.5” (roughly each had to be fit to the uneven floor). I attached the 2×6’s to the 2×4 I cut earlier and then fit it in place under the shelves (adjusting as I went) I then took the cut offs from the 2×6’s and made the floors for each bin. —- maybe a good place for a pic to explain all of that——-
As you can see I used some small L brackets to secure everything to the wall, it may be worth noting the 2×6’s were screwed to the 2×4 before it was all pushed up in place (read beat into place with rubber mallet as I cut it all very close) and then I screwed through it into the shelf verticals.
Well all the framing is in place time to skin it. I have some OSB on hand that I was given for free so we are going to use it (I believe it is .35” thick or 3/8”). I simply ripped the OSB to size covering just over half of each bin then applied construction adhesive to the framing and used my stape gun to put it all up.
OK shelves are up, bins are in now we just need to build the cart.
Hmm need to figure out what size to make the pictures so they don’t get cropped.