I wanted to take a little time to let everyone know where I am with my pair of hand planes I am restoring. I posted a while back about the Christmas gift I recieved from my Father In-Law (My Most Prized Christmas Gift). To make a long story short I was given two hand planes that belonged and where used by my brides Great Grandfather. I still get goose bumps about opening the box and seeing them for the first time.
This is what I seen when I first opened the box….
One is a 10” Sargent Jack plane (please someone correct me if I am wrong.. I am still learning), and the other is a 14” Fulton smoothing plane. Even though I know these are quite common, and considered mid to low end planes I couldn’t let these things go without doing every thing I can to make them right. So I embarked on my journey to learn hand planes and restore a couple pieces of my brides history. Just the thought of putting them back to work in my shop just flat out tickles me to death…
Ok…. So the first thing I did was use a favorite rust penetrating oil called PB Blaster to help free up all the hardware. I had pretty good success in removing all the hardware except the Fulton’s rear handle anchor bolt. So I decided to go to step two and that was to lap the sole and sides. Here is the setup I used.
(after about 2 hours of work you can see I nearly wore the 80 grit paper out…lol)
Although I still have a good way to go I think I made some decent progress….
Well things where going well until I decided to tackle the anchor bolt on the Fulton. Long story short i thought things went really bad when the bolt snapped off at the base. Nooooo….. Things got bad when the easy out broke off inside the remaining threaded piece.
I decided to quit right there for the day and stew on the problem for a bit (over a few cold ones of course). Normally on something like this i would simply build up the metal again using a mig welder, drill, and tap the hole. The issue there was heat. I was and still am scared to death of getting this to hot and causing any form of warping. So how do i get threads back in there and use less heat?
I thought of this….
So the next day I open the base up and removed all the old thread, easy out, and good metal (not happy about that part) with a small cutting disk. I would rather had drilled it out, but those of you who know… There is no such thing as drilling out an easy out…lol
So here is me cutting the channel to fit the nut….
Here is the shaped nut to fit the contours of the handle and get the slope right….
I then ran into the issue of getting the angle just right for the handle. So I got an idea of using a very small amount of JB on the sides of the nut, using the original handle bolt (the side with good threads), the handle, and clamp everything in place. After I came back a couple of hours later I was able to remove the clamp and find my nut was set at the right angle for the handle. I then solwwwwwwly tacked the nut in place. I would only spot weld both sides slightly then walk away and let everything cool down. It took me a couple of hours to get it to the point where I felt it was set solid, but I didn’t want to rush it.
Ugly I know… But it works….lol
Once I felt I got the handle under control I made the decision to drop them off to a local fabrication shop and have them bead blasted. After picking them up this afternoon I knew I made a good call….
Well, that is where I am at now. I still have a ton of work to do, and parts to order this weekend. All in all I am happy how they are coming along. Although I would rather things go a good bit smoother, but the trials I am overcoming to get these where they need to be is going to make them that much more.
Thanks for reading my overly way to long blog describing what I been up to with these planes.
-- Dan ~ Texarkana, Tx.