So I began the build with the top, figuring that I could use it to build the base. The wife bought me a Vika for Christmas so it is my temporary work bench (along with my trusty, old, Workmate and saw horses).
As you may have seen in my earlier entry, the top was to consist of two, 8 piece laminations. I face planed them with my #7 to ensure good glue up and glued them at the same time as two separate chunks. Here was my first screw-up (should have planed them four square).
This was closely followed by my second screw up. I used Titebond II and it setup way too fast for a newbie trying to glue up 8 boards. I had some slippage and one of the boards in the center of each lamination slipped a bit (at least I was consistent). By the time I tried to fix it the glue had started to bite and I was faced with the prospect of breaking them down and re-doing (which I should have done) or soldiering on and fixing it later. No problem, I thought, I’ll just plane them down later.
Long story short I ended up with two laminations that needed some severe planing to get them anywhere near acceptable. After much sweating and cussing using my mediocre planing skills I finally realized that my dream of building my workbench using only hand tools was over (I don’t have any milling machines). Staring adversity squarely in the face I resolved to fix this as best I could and move on.
I whipped up a jig and sled for my Router and routed the bottoms level and then flipped them over and took care of the tops.
I did, however, only enough to fix the bad boards, I still want to do most of this build using hand tools.
Here are my laminations rough routed and ready for thicknessing and squaring with my #7 and my smoother.
So, first build, 3 screw ups and lessons learned.
Thanks for reading.
-- Marty, Columbus, OH, learning every day....