Ok – so I finished the settee and it was great and then I had a few friends come over and as soon as they sat down it made a funny noise, and then SLAM!!! To the ground! Everyone was ok only thing damaged was my pride. So needless to say I think I will just buy a chair and leave the seating furniture to the pros… It took 5 days just to get it done. I was so happy. It was made out of MDF and Walnut.
I am now on to bigger and easier projects… :) I am building a dinning room table for my Sister, needless to say I have no idea what I am doing, but Rockler here I come and if that doesn’t work then I will go to the library and if that fails then I will go to the store take a long good look at one and duplicate! I am buying the chairs! I dont want to have a disclamier when I give them to her… HAHAHA!
We will see. I will keep yall in the loop!
Just an update…
No I didn’t get pictures before it happened.
I looked at the joints, and support.
The frame was walnut, the seat base and sides were mdf, and the back was 3 thin sheets of walnut grooved together. The joints gave and the support screws striped out. All in the entire seat base gave and there was so much weight that the frame went to. I think I had too many cuts and joints. Once I get over the shock I will try again.
I tried to “fix” the ends by cutting the old “broken” joints. This made the “length” 3.5’ instead of 4’. I started by making a few holes in the side supports and then saturating it with wood glue and clamped it to dry, I will follow up with some kreg system pocket screws “in each joint”, and then I will reassemble the rest back together, let dry for 24 hours, test it out, and hopefully it holds, if it does then I will upholster and make the seat cushions. Then I will post! I hope to finish it this weekend, but not sure.
-- Martina, Houston, TX