I spent some time yesterday laminating 2 wood choices together.
Today I set myself up for some precision cutting. I didn’t use Klaus’ sled. You see I experimented over and over again getting my depth just right. My index was exactly 7/8 of an inch. Heck, half my time was spent on the math.
I’m pretty sure most of my issues today are because I didn’t build a 45 degree sled with an indexer. I know the worst problems I had were because I didn’t build a zero clearance insert. Basically, I got tear out which was bad. What was worse is I was getting a little bit of kickback on my cross cuts. Tiny little rectangular off cuts were being hurled at my work. It tore the peaks off some of my pyramids.
Mind you this was taking place underneath my work because I was only doing depth cuts.
It was bad enough for me to want to make trivets out of the decent parts and throw the rest away.
I grabbed an ROS and decided to see what would happen if I sanded the busted up peaks. The ROS didn’t mind the gaps and it smoothed out the damaged peaks super fast.
I also had to sacrifice some width and depth on the box. I lost 7/8 depth and 2 5/8 width.
Here are the results of cleaning up the worst piece.
I’m moving forward with this modified version of the peaks. I’ll end this blog right here. The rest is the easy part.
-- Thanks for all the lessons!