I’ve been working on my son’s desktop for a while now. I have a Christmas due date so I had to get a move on. The desk frame took me all weekend. That really surprised me. I imagine I could go a lot faster If I didn’t fly by the seat of my pants all the time. A plan might be helpful.
Any how, I’m using rabbit joint joints for the first time and they came with a whole bundle of lessons. They didn’t come out perfect but I believe I can do better next time with a router and a few quick jigs.
I also used a router planning sled for the first time. It really helped me flatten out the Baltic birch desk top.
I’m about done stretching the envelope on my abilities. In other words, I won’t be using box joints on the drawers. ;)
Here is what I have.
Those are the sides and middle desk sections. I Pre-sanded the PITA parts then used painters tape to protect against squeeze out.
Here it is with the front drawer and full length stretchers.
After took off the clamps I noticed the drawer stretchers were misaligned. I had to put some clamps back on. Fortunately my glue was still open.
I just had to have a preview of the desk so I put the bazillion pound top on it.
The drawer fronts are also ready to go as well.
Thanks for looking!
-- Thanks for all the lessons!