I did a glue up last night and didn’t notice I slipped when clamping. This morning I noticed big time. The clamps had pulled my work in too much. There was nearly an eighth inch gap on the outside. I tried to break it loose. Nothin’ Doin’! Oops.
I thought about filling the gap and despite my reluctance, it was going to happen. The only thing is that the gap and bad angle were going to throw all the geometry off. I’d never get the whole thing together. I came up with a plan to end the truncated icosahedron without closing it off. Consider a fish bowl and you’ll get the idear. I started to like the idea. In fact I started to like it better than the original design. Eureka!
I was sanding some of the pieces before another glue up and didn’t think about my work sitting on top of the make shift table. My progress just slowly and imperceptibly skittered toward the edge. Off it went!! It crashed to the concrete and broke into two pieces. Yep, the good part and the bad glue up from last night came apart. The was no other damage. Cool!
I’m still switching to my fishbowl version. All the segmented pieces will become the ‘cage version. I’ll need to cut a few more solid pieces but I have it covered.
I learned a different trick today. How do you glue up a tight angle. I believe this trick will only work for very obtuse angles. I’ll explain with pictures.
Tape the pieces together.
Get some glue on them.
Lightly clamp across the length.
Clamp from the vertices to your other clamp shaft.
Tighten both clamps gradually. The butt joint will close right up.
Hope the trick makes your life easier one day.
-- Thanks for all the lessons!