Not much time for woodshop lately but I have been able to put a little time in here and there.
Today was about 4 hours. Here is where I’m at.
I did some hand planning to get it in earshot range. I used a stiff metal yardstick like a scree to reveal high spots. Len – listen up please. I grabbed a card scraper and took down some of the ridges left by the planning. I know I need to keep working on the scraper edge. I ended up using the ROS after my hands got tired. 40 grit at first. Put my straightedge away. 30 grit until all the glue spots were gone.
Now I want to step back a pace. I emptied out the ROS dust collector before I started with the 30 grit. I sanded only the areas with walnut/maple. When I was done with that, I used the sanding dust to fill small gaps in the walnut/maple border. I emptied out the dust collector again then sanded the sapele/maple center portion. Again I used that dust to fill gaps in that area. In case this is getting boring – ditto for paduak/maple area.
I started that entire process over again with 150 grit. I inevitably miss a few spot the first few time through.
When I was done with that, I sanded the remaining filler spots off with 150.
NEXT step for me was to make sure the edges were squared up to the top of the table.
I turned the table top upside down and secured it to a half sled. I shaved about 1/32 of an inch off an edge. That took care of any misaligned wood and any clumps of glue squeeze out. I turned the table top one time clockwise and got a perpendicular edge straightened out. I turned another 90 degrees and set the top down right in from of my saw. Off came the sled and I used just the fence to shave the final 2 sides.
If during the course of my leveling, I had taken more wood off one side than the other, my sides would not have been square. Technically speaking, I could have planed half an inch off one end of the table top and 1/16th off the other. Heck, I could literally have one corner that is 3 inches thick and the other that is one inch thick. Turning the table top face down to the table saw and shaving 90 degrees off with make the edges perpendicular to the top again. Sorta makes sense to me.
If I had a thickness planer under the tree this year – I could save 5 hours of work!
Any how – this top is ready for the sides. Yep – she’s a movin’ along. Thanks for looking.
-- Thanks for all the lessons!