I got a few hours of work in yesterday so I have a little progress to show. As promised, I’m providing more details about my third and final table of the Southwest series.
I ripped up some American Walnut and Curly maple to one inch widths. I then cut up 40 pieces of Walnut to 3 inches. That is were I stopped with the precuts. ( I don’t have a joiner and I get variances on my rip cuts of 1/64th because I don’t always meet the fence with precision.)
First thing was to frame the inner design with maple. If you trust all of your measurements – you can precut 16 inch lengths now. Since My rips are off, this is what I did:
I clamped a long piece of my walnut to one side to my maple would rest firmly against it. I laid down another piece of maple on the other side then stacked one three inch piece of walnut on end and one on it’s side against the maple. That gave me my finished length for the silve maple. A quick cut and I got this.
I clamped her down. What I forgot to shoot was a picture of a my clamp applying down ward pressure. I believe I’ll invest in a deep throat clamp for work just like this.
I worked clockwise around the table with one end always butting against the previous.
After I got 2 sides on – my one foot Irwin clamps became worthless. I switched to the longer f clamps. I used a few pieces of my three inch walnut so the screw handle would extend past the outside of the substrate. It’s a heck of a lot easier to tighten and loosen that way.
On the fourth side. Remember you already have your maple spacer glued in place. Just se the 2 walnut pieces.
If you trust ALL of your cuts precut about 20 4 inch maple lengths and skip to the last picture.
Otherwise, this is what I did to prevent gaps caused by in-precise rips.
Now it’s time to glue up the first turn in the walnut.
I started by adding a spacer piece of walnut against the maple frame surrounding the center pattern. It was intentionally too long. I clamped it down to hold it while I glued a precut 3 inch walnut piece to the inside leg of the maple frame.
I left the walnut spacer in place then added a too long piece of maple, clamped but not glued. Then I added a second precut piece of maple. Again, the walnut spacer is still in place along with the maple spacer sandwiched between the 2 glued up, precut walnut pieces.
I went around the four corners of the table doing these first 2 tasks one at a time.
It starts to go much faster from here. That too long walnut spacer can now be cut to size and glued up. You should now have a walnut U (up-side-down) with a loose maple spacer in between.
If you have very consistent rips, you can precut a bunch of 4 inch lengths of maple and be ready. I had to measure as I went.
Next – you add a 4 inch piece of maple to the outside of the U.
Secure another spacer against the maple frame then glue a precut piece of walnut against the four inch maple.
You can also close off the second turn you are building.
Once you have that turn walnut turn closed off, you can finally cut that maple spacer to size and glue it in.
I think by now you have the picture.
Here is what I got by the end of my time.
I’ll post what to do with the corners very soon.
-- Thanks for all the lessons!