I started cutting the trim that will used to face all the frame. I made some very nice 45 degree rips. I love that Freud full kerf rip blade. I reset the saw to 90 degrees and proceeded to cut the other side (flooring). Um, my bevel slipped a few degrees and I didn’t notice it until after I ripped the other side of every board.
How did I notice you ask?
My table saw broke. Under most circumstances, I’d take it to the shop. NOT this time. It’s a $100 harbor freight special. I was thrilled when it went Kablooey! It’s a great excuse to upgrade. Now if only my TV….
This is what I’m showing for today’s blog progress.
DEAD MACHINE – Waiting for bulk trash pickup.
I searched Craigslist and found a Hitachi for $180. I thought – hey Hitachi! sounds like a great deal! I even arranged to pick it up. The guy said it was missing a bolt to attach the safety shield. I came here and started reading about the problems with this $200 brand spanking new saw. I sent the guy a text to say “NO Thank You.”
I was also about to pull the trigger on either the “job site” Rigid or Bosch. Well, you all recommended a full size shop saw with a belt drive. Fine by me. That’s what I’ll get.
I decided to start sanding the finish off the flooring instead of hurrying to buy the saw. I went through a 5 pack of belts in no time flat. That finish will dull a sanding belt in seconds. It just couldn’t be easy. I had to wrestle with dull sandpaper. When the sandpaper wouldn’t even leave a scratch, I changed it out.
My bad rips are easily repairable. I got all the finish off the cherry planks. I learned a bit about table saws. I cleaned up my Freud blade nice and spiffy. Not a loss but really about 60% of what I hoped I could do. My future projects will be a little easier with a better saw. (Really – the fence and cuttng surface is the important part for me.
Thanks for looking.
-- Thanks for all the lessons!