The devil is in the details. That’s especially true for an impatient lout like me. When it’s close to being done, I want it done now!
I decided to work backwards. My shelves are going to be surrounded by the same style of trim I made for my home. I decided to use a little facetted rossette pattern in the major areas. I’ll let you see for yourself a little further down.
I started with solid cherry flooring – $1.00 a foot. I had to strip the finish with a belt sander. I then cut strips with a 7 degree angle on them. Those strips went on the miter saw and it took me the better part of an hour to figure out what the heck I was doing. I can give specific details in case anyone should want to do these.
Once I got my brain in the right place I would cut a good triangle, make an offcut, good off etc. I have a lot of offcuts…. ;) I have some plans for them.
After I cut a bazillion triangles (x2 for offcuts). I started assembling. What a pain. I built a couple of jigs to get me moving much faster.
After I assembled the diamonds, I did some preliminary sanding then took a close look and filled any imperfections with sanding dust and glue.
I got a count at that time and found my self 4 rosettes short.
I pulled out the belt sander, knocked the finish of a board, set up the table saw and made my three cuts, set up the small miter and had all those triangles made within 45 minutes. I took a break and decided to glue those up. My Miter was set at 47 degrees!!!!!!! Firewood! I even had to dig the offcuts out of my stash of “good” offcutes.
My next attempt took 30 minutes. I had 1 triangle to spare.
Funny thing – I was thinking about getting an HF table top sander today but decided instead to just save the cash and prop up my ROS.
Glad I did. I just saw a review advising me to save my money.
Anyhow – I’m glad I did this part first. It would have been junk if I tried this when my patience was worn out.
They are pre-sanded down to 320 grit. I think I’m going to start on the tung oil and have the finish done before I assemble the shelves. If They are finished, then any accidental glue squeeze won’t stain the wood and I wont have to resand. They are fairly easy to sand now but it will become a nightmare they are attached to the shelves.
If the devil is in the details – well – maybe I avoided the devil this time.
The next devlish part is the rest of the trim. I’ll keep working backwoards and do the part I’m dying to do – last.
Thank you all for showing me better ways to think about woodworking. Double thanks for the timely review on the HF table top sander.
-- Learning is like a door. Open it and there are hundreds more on the other side. Thanks for all the lessons!