I built the base over the weekend. I kinda wish I had gone a little thicker on the wood. Be that as it may, I like it. I cut all the wood 1.25 square. Of course when I tried the cross braces up against the legs I found an error in the thickness. I knew that ! ;) I have no idea why I didn’t think of it.
Glue up was a nightmare. I leaned a huge lessons including this one: “Sometimes you have to make a jig!!! I am mostly out of the odd ball shapes business for a while but in the future – I’ll remember this fine lesson.
My first “rushed” glue attempt was a dismal failure. I took it apart before the glue set. Then I left the pocket screws in place. I tried every which way to clamp, glue and set the first screws including a lattice of clamps. I finally got lucky on the placement of the first and second screw. That was finally one leg attached to the upper crossbeam. Again with the lattice and my son pushing the second leg and it was in. Every leg and brace afterwards became far easier.
All that wrestling and I now have a base.
It needs a bit of sanding, a tiny bit of filler, tung oil, put it together – finished. I’ll post the completed project next time.
-- Learning is like a door. Open it and there are hundreds more on the other side. Thanks for all the lessons!