I added the diamonds to the table top.
It was a bit of a chore because of the imperfect line up of the pentagons. I spent a lot of time tweaking a few angles by half a degree and sneaking in the exact length. Instead of making a bunch of diamonds and trying to cut them perfectly, I used triangles. In retrospect, diamonds would have been a nightmare and the triangles look good. Despite my plans to use maple, I went ahead and used oak. The oak came from a drawer front that was kicked to the curb. That’s hysterical to me. The most expensive piece of wood on the whole thing is the birch plywood I’m mounting everything to. I picked it so the bottom side of the table would look decent.
Cutting triangles is pretty easy on the miter saw. In my case, the tip of the triangle had to be 36 degrees. I started with a 3 inch wide length of oak. Cut 18 degrees off the end. Rolled the board and cut another 18 degrees to get a triangle. Roll, cut, roll cut etc..
When I was cutting the triangles to length, I left the miter at 18 degrees and shaved off the base, When the length was right, It fit into half the diamond. I’d get the other side to fit, glue the whole thing up then work the entire diamond in. The glue added a little thickness so I had to urge the triangles in to place with a rubber mallet. It worked fine because the brazillian cherry and the oak could take that kind of ‘persuasion’.
I wanted to do more but I couldn’t get my table saw outside in the rain. Ah well – I’m pleased enough. The oak is about 1/32 thicker than the cherry but a good sanding will straighten that out.
-- Learning is like a door. Open it and there are hundreds more on the other side. Thanks for all the lessons!