I started mounting the table top today. It occurs to me, in hindsight, that I may have caused myself a lot of frustration. I’ll find out soon enough when I try to place the diamonds. Be that as it may, it’s turning out pretty well but you can still tell that a rookie is doing the work.
I was able to use the warped pieces but now I have a few pieces that are slightly higher than others. I just bought myself more hours of sanding. I’ve also got a few gaps. A few of them are almost 1/16”. I’m going to try and fill with glue and sanding dust. I hope it looks like a variation on the grain. Thus far they don’t really concern me.
My neighbor lays flooring for a living. He’s going to try to find me a couple of boards for the diamonds.
In fact. Here are my plans.
The green arrow and the red arrow will be the same Brazillian Cherry. The purple arrows point to the outside border. I’m going to use Oak for that. I’m going to cut a dado (?) corner on the bottom so part of the oak is secured to the top of the plywood and the side hangs off the edge. The Blue arrow points to the triangles and diamonds I’m going to fill with what ever my neighbor brings me (or maple if he can’t find anything).
Despite the fact that I have a few gaps, I was able to eliminate quite a few with my dremel tool. I just sanded down a few rough spots on the sides and slosed up most of the seams.
So far – it’s been fun and I’m pretty confident the top will come out awesome. If I can keep from frustrating myself and I don’t think about how tedious this project is, it will be smooth sailing. So far, this has the potential of being my best work and I have already learned a bunch of things thanks to the lumberjocks.
-- Learning is like a door. Open it and there are hundreds more on the other side. Thanks for all the lessons!