Disassembly of the plane was surprisingly straightforward; everything came apart readily with a single flat bit screwdriver.
Here are the photos of it all in pieces:
I noticed a few things as I opened it up.
- lever cap – chip out of left corner, nickel coating flaking
- frog – chip out of left corner
- Iron and chip breaker – mild to moderate surface rust with some minor pitting
- depth adjustment knob – slight nick in the knurled surface
- bed – mild rust, chipping paint
- all brass – heavily tarnished, in some cases beyond recognition as brass
- knob and tote – both broken beyond usability
Firstly, the frog has a slight chip out of its left corner, and so does the lever cap. I’m not sure what effect this will have on function, but there was a fluffy pinch of shavings under the frog that may hove gotten there through the chip.
Second, the brass nuts that retain the knob and the tote are plain cylinders . Referring to the documentation I found for typing and dating planes, this leads me to the conclusion that this plane was built earlier rather than later within that 1902-1907 range mentioned previously.
Third, there is a raised 4 under the tote. I searched high and low for some mention of this particular feature, but I came up dry.
Another notable detail about the plane itself is that the depth knob is left-hand threaded. This is not really an important detail, but it messed with my “righty tighty” mindset for a few seconds.
So let’s inventory the damage and imperfections:
In my next post of this series I will clean and derust or polish all the metal parts. my process for this will be based on this video by woodknight on youtube.
I will then move on to constructing a new tote and knob. I’m looking for suggestions on the species I should use for these.