Purchased a new home back in June; finally got a chance to do some work on the garage to transform it from a place to park a car to a workshop…My current shop is 13×23; which I share with bikes and skis…the new shop is 17×30 which I will not have to share with anything but my tools.
First day was spent clearing out some of the junk wood that the previous owner left behind.
My plan was to put down a wooden subfloor; my current shop has a wooden floor, which I love; and after standing on cement at work all day, I didn’t want to go out to my new shop and still be standing on cement. I agonized over what would be the best way to construct the subfloor; both for insulation value and for strength. I’ve seen many different versions on LJ’s…seriously considered using DriCore, but decided away from it due to cost, and because I wanted a bit more insulation than DriCore offers. Eventually settled on using foam board between 2×4 stringers with 3/4 ply on top. Ideally I would have gone with 12” centres but I’ve read of others going with 24” centres with the foam board and having no problems, it is not really compressible and (I hope) would provide adequate support.
The last pic was taken shortly after I realized my first mistake….I had planned 24” centres and assembled my grid of 2×4’s and foam board appropriately; however, if you use foam board which is 2×8 feet you end up with 26” centres, and 2×4 stringer placement that doesn’t line up with 4×8 sheets of plywood….
$^%#$!!! After I finished making a lot of noise not suitable for younger audiences, I was left with the decision of pulling up all the stringers and foam board or cutting all my sheets of ply to fit; as you can see I chose to cut the plywood. I really don’t know how well this will support my tools; there are several long edges of ply that are not lined up on the stringers; it seems to support my weight easily, but I don’t weigh 400lbs like my TS; I may yet end up having to re-do the floor.
Next was to run the electrical and insulate and vapour barrier the walls. Electrical will be 3 separate 20 amp circuits; each powering 3 plugs. I debated whether to run a few 220V lines, in case I want to switch my tools in the future to 220. I already have to put in 2 separate 220V lines, one for my DC, another for the heater and 10/3 wire is NOT cheap, so I decided against running any other 220 circuits; I can always put it in in the future if needed. Also started construction of a small closet that will hold my DC. Again, mistakes were made with the vapour barrier…vapour barrier around the electrical boxes before the insulation goes in as it is a pain in the …. after. As well, I realized that I should have insulated the walls before I put the floor in, as I could have then joined the wall vapour barrier to the bottom plate, which of course was now blocked by my sub floor…
I went with 1/4” ply sheeting for the walls, looks good so far, and I get to avoid drywall.
Final step this week was to apply 3 coats of spar urethane to the floor. I have a couple busy weeks ahead and won’t get a chance to do any more work for awhile, but at least I have a start. Next steps will be to finish the wall insulation and sheeting and then start on insulating the ceiling, prior to the fun stuff of building cabinets and running my DC ducting. Thanks for looking!
-- Sometimes the creative process requires foul language. -- Charles Neil