Well…I was able to do a little bit more on the coffin today, and I’m still not 100% happy with the way the miter corners of the little ‘frames’ are coming out, but I’m pushing forward with the project, as I have decided to use it for myself instead of trying to sell it…I’ll consider it a learning project and leave it at that…still not sure how the best way is to get the uprights angled correctly…I’m so used to using my guillotine that I’ve become spoiled by it, but when I use it for the sides of the little ‘frames’ it splits it like a log….
I’ve had several problems due to this issue, which are not really apparent in the pics that follow. My miters don’t all line up as cleanly as I’d anticipated, and because of this the CA glue that I use to temporarily hold the ‘frames’ together snap either when I’m trying to make the upright angle, or they snapped when I brad nailed them to the carcass. The second issue wasn’t so much of a problem, but did cause a few of the better miters to not look as nice.
The pics show the ‘frames’ on the carcass, and I’ve filled in all the brad spots with epoxy putty…I’m using Mohawk brand right now, but Qwikwood is good too…both take stain very nicely (for the type of stain I usually use which is the alcohol powders that I mix up myself…it’s ok with the danish oil, but not as good and usually needs touchups with that method). It’s hard to see in the pics, but there is a lot of filler on it…but I think I have a plan in mind for the larger spots on the corners that won’t really work well with a touchup….but I’ll leave that as a surprise for later. There is also some gap along the top…again, I think I have a plan for that….
I thought for sure I’d have the bottom part of the coffin top cut out today, but the ‘frames’ gave me such a time that I didn’t get to it…perhaps tomorrow if I don’t take a day off…we’ll see….
-- Sue (Susan) Mad Jester Woodworks, "Not what I have, but what I do is my kingdom" Thomas Carlyle