LumberJocks

Lee and Shelley's Wet Bar #8: Upper cabinet construction

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by MT_Stringer posted 05-06-2014 03:33 AM 1238 reads 1 time favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 7: Installation Day at Last Part 8 of Lee and Shelley's Wet Bar series Part 9: Upper cabinet installation »

It took longer than intended, but I finally completed building the upper cabinets. Here are some construction pics.

There are two large cabinets, one on each side and a smaller center cabinet. The big ones are 36H x 42W. Adjustable shelf pin holes were drilled so she can adjust the glass shelves to fit her drink glass collection. She has a lot of glasses!

The General finishes Java makes for a really dark brown color, but it looks like a piece of furniture when finished with Deft Satin finish.

As needed, I finished the visible parts of the cabinets with 1/4 inch maple plywood. I also finished the underneath side of the cabinets with the 1/4 inch skin.

Here is one of the cabinets turned upside down showing the finished bottom.

For the center section, I designed a wine bottle storage rack that holds six bottles. The way I made the cradles, the wine will always keep the cork wet. They say that is important. I don’t know anything about that. :-)

I laid out the cradles, rough cut the large openings with a jig saw, then used forstner bits to make the final cuts. They turned out really nice. I think I may have out done myself on this project! :-)

Here is a dry fit.

To make the stemware racks, I first glued up two pieces of maple, then I ripped them to make the “T” shape. all that was left was to cut the individual pieces to length.

One last dry fit.

Before final assembly, I stained the pieces and sprayed the final clear coat.

My sweetie helped clean up a little glue squeeze out when we installed the glass hangers. We glued and screwed the hangers in place. That was scary, but I didn’t put any screws or drill any pilot holes in the wrong spot.

Here is a mock up of the completed cabinet ready for installation.

Next up…time to hang the cabinets.

-- Handcrafted by Mike Henderson - Channelview, Texas



4 comments so far

View Mean_Dean's profile

Mean_Dean

1787 posts in 1895 days


#1 posted 05-07-2014 12:46 AM

Look’n good!

-- Dean

View Alan72's profile

Alan72

101 posts in 780 days


#2 posted 05-08-2014 03:26 AM

Looks good! Every time I try and stain maple it get all blotchy. How many coats of stain did you have on it and I never used General finishes. How would you compare it to miniwax.

View MT_Stringer's profile

MT_Stringer

2106 posts in 1978 days


#3 posted 05-08-2014 03:54 AM

Alan, the stain was applied with a good quality brush just as if it were being painted. One coat, no wiping. It lays down smooth. Once the finish (Deft Satin Lacquer) has been sprayed on, it looks nice. They wanted dark brown.

If you wipe it, most comes off so it would take prolly three or more applications to get the stain dark.

The General finishes Java is a gel stain. A little does go a long way. Since it is a gel, I can’t compare it to MinWax.

-- Handcrafted by Mike Henderson - Channelview, Texas

View Roger's profile

Roger

15305 posts in 1551 days


#4 posted 05-16-2014 01:24 AM

Very nicely done Mike. Looks grrr8!!

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase