Onward and upward.
I made the drawers out of hard maple. The front of the drawers were made using a Porter cable dovetail jig to produce half blind dovetails. The back of the drawers was simple butt joint construction, using glue and brad nails. The rear piece was ripped short so it could be installed, then the bottom slid in. I anchored the bottom with several short staples across the back.
This method works out pretty well for me. Cutting the dovetails on the front only reduces production time a lot. Sliding in the bottom also makes assembly easy.
I used my table saw sled to cut dadoes in the sides of each drawer. Some simple dividers made from the 1/4 inch ply makes it easy for the new owner to organize her “stuff”.
Note: The sled is adjustable so the dado set did a slick job of cutting the dadoes. All I had to do was set one stop. I made all the cuts on one end of the boards, then flip them and made the cuts once again. Easy and quick.
I cut the parts for each carcase – two sides, a bottom, and two top stretcher pieces. I waited to cut the back individually for each cabinet – just in case. :-)
A dado was cut across the bottom of each side piece 5 1/2 inches up from the bottom. And one was cut across the top of each side. A half inch rabbit was cut on the back of each side piece so the back could fit easily.
Then I used a jig to drill the shelf pin holes for the shelves. To do this, I placed a scrap piece in the dado for the carcase bottom. Then I placed a spacer against it and the shelf pin jig against the spacer. That made it easy to drill even holes on each side.
One cabinet has two shelves, one of which is a short one. I made a special jig so I could clamp the shelf pin jig in place and all holes drilled would line up. It worked prefect.
Next up – Final Assembly.
-- Handcrafted by Mike Henderson - Channelview, Texas