Time to get this project wrapped up.
I covered the plywood deck with white Formica as well as the material supports and the rear support for the cylinder. After trimming the laminate flush with the plywood, I used a chamfer bit to bevel the edges slightly.
Now for the nitty gritty.
Here is a close up of the cylinder mounted on the jig. The original four 10-24×1 inch machine screws secure the front of the plate. Two 1/4 -20×1 inch round knobs attach the rear of the plate to the sled. If necessary, I can remove the cylinder as a unit.
Foot operated switch with muffler.
I have my parts box fastened to the sled near the edge so I can loosen the latches. They secure the lid really well.
The black piece is the Kreg Micro jig.
And now for the good part. If something breaks, I can simply remove the four screws and the two 1/4 inch round knobs, remove the air cylinder unit and replace it with the original clamp!!! :-) A special thank you goes out to Crank49 for making that suggestion.
But wait, there is more!
If I need to drill pocket holes in 2x lumber, I will have to reposition the air cylinder. To do that, I simply remove the four 10-24 machine screws which will free up the sled. Then I will need to remove the four wood screws on the bottom side of the sled which keep the rear cylinder support in place. After determining the position for the cylinder, put the screws back in the aluminum plate, and drill new screw holes on the underside of the sled so the rear support will stay put. No need to remove the two 1/4 – 20 round knobs.
I drilled a few holes and the jig is working great. I had the air compressor set at 80 psi. I think I can easily reduce it to 60 psi.
The only thing left is to get a filter for the air line. The specs call for a 40 micron filter. HF has one that should work just fine.
I hope you enjoyed reading about this build as much as I did building it. My cabinet making should go a lot smoother next go round.
-- Handcrafted by Mike Henderson - Channelview, Texas