LumberJocks

Modifying the Kreg Pocket Hole Jig #2: Designing the new jig

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by MT_Stringer posted 250 days ago 1160 reads 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 1: New Life for the Pocket Hole Jig Part 2 of Modifying the Kreg Pocket Hole Jig series Part 3: Final Assembly »

Something I had on hand is a piece of 1/4 inch aluminum plate 3 inches wide x 12 inches long. I decided to mount the cylinder on it. But first, I made an exact duplicate out of 1/4 inch mdf so I could figure out how and where to mount everything.

After removing the clamp mechanism that came with the jig, I commenced to measure and drill mounting holes in the mdf.

I don’t have a picture, but I used the original nuts that were used to secure the clamp. I used JB Weld epoxy to permanently mount them in the sockets underneath the jig.

I countersunk the heads of the mounting screws for the front and back cylinder mounts.

I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how and where the cylinder should be mounted. I have it positioned so that 1/2 inch → 1 inch material can be easily drilled. For 2×4 type material, I will have to reposition the cylinder, which won’t be hard to do.

After I made the decision where to mount the cylinder, I attached the mdf to the aluminum plate with double sided tape and simply drilled the holes on the drill press.

The cylinder mounts on the plate just like it did on the mdf.

With everything fitted and working, I decided it was time for a new sled to mount the jig on. So, I recycled a piece of 3/4 inch plywood I have had since the mid 80’s. It was originally a box that pump parts had been shipped in and I salvaged it from the dumpster at work. Now it has a new life. Unfortunately, it wasn’t big enough so I added rear deck by gluing on a piece of maple. Once everything was dry, I added an edge all around and ran it through the drum sander until I had two smooth sides.

I also needed new extensions for each side of the jig so longer material can be supported so I glued up two pieces of 1/2 inch Baltic birch. That turned out nice.

Just about time to put it all together. :-)

-- Handcrafted by Mike Henderson - Channelview, Texas



1 comment so far

View David Dean's profile

David Dean

489 posts in 1494 days


#1 posted 250 days ago

great job.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase