Time to make the frames for the drawer fronts. The pieces were narrow and some were small so I set up a featherboard to help safely guide the pieces past the cutter.
They turned out nice.
The drawer fronts will have flat panels. I could have used either plywood or mdf but NO! Instead, I glued up some short pieces of poplar, planed them to almost 3/8 inch thick, then ran them through the drum sander. Next, it was cut to final size, then rout a rabbit in the rear so the panels would fit inside the frames. That worked well.
Glue up and clamp
Two at a time! While one was in the clamps, I set up a second clamping station on my work table. That helped a lot.
Drawer fronts complete! All I have to do is some touch up sanding and they will be ready to paint. The doors have been removed from the buffet.
Brick! Yay, the bricklayer is here. Actually, she ws already here. :-) We put BrickWeb on the wall. All that is required is Mastic. We borrowed a tile saw from our brother in law. That was a piece of cake.
It took us a lot longer – a span of about ten hours – but it is on the wall and still up there today! Grout and seal is next. In fact, I am thinking about hiring the guys that install the counter top to do the grouting. Heck, they are experts at that kind of thing.
Next project is painting the doors and drawer fronts. When complete, my wife can contact her friend to come apply the glaze to the buffet. My next project is drawer construction. I have some of the wood glued up and more waiting it’s turn. Once milled to 5/8 inch thick, I will set up the dovetail jig and learn how to make through dovetails! First time for me. Yeah, I will mill up a few extra pieces for practice. :-)
Hope you enjoy the write up and pics. I am.
-- Handcrafted by Mike Henderson - Channelview, Texas