What started as a leaking kitchen faucet has turned in to a kitchen remodel. However, I convinced my wife that before tearing up the kitchen, we should build a buffet in the dining room. If all goes well, then we will tackle the kitchen next year.
We have been living in this house since July 1987. It has been paid for for several years and all of our kids are grown so it is just me and the missus.
The cabinets are vintage 1983 oak but their time has come and gone. I don’t like the particle board and she doesn’t like the corner sink.
To get started planning, I drew up a scale model of the buffet, cut out some scale models of the various cabinet sizes and gave them to her to figure out. When I woke up the next morning, she had the drawing filled out to her liking. I think she stayed up all night searching the internet for ideas.
Here is her plan.
I probably will make a change or two in the middle section and since the total width of the buffet is 123 inches, I have decided to widen the section with the four drawers to 14 inches instead of 12. That should leave me with just a little less than 2 inches of wiggle room. This will provide lots of additional storage. Adjustable shelves will be hidden behind the cabinet doors. The middle section will have one or two pull out trays. I still have to work out the details for that section.
Here is a picture of the area where the buffet will be built.
Since the two end walls extend out past where the buffet will be built, it will be a true built in when complete. I have already had an electrician add a new circuit with the outlets installed at standard counter top height.
One addition to the plan is to brick the wall behind the buffet with Brickweb bricks. We ordered samples and have six different colors to chose from.
A friend will help apply a finish to the buffet which is some sort of a wash with a glaze. I have seen her work and it looks good. I am building the face frames, drawer fronts and door using poplar. The drawers will be maple. For the carcasses, I plan to use prefinished birch plywood.
I saved a few bucks by browsing through the discount bin at the lumber yard. They sell “shorts” – boards less than 48 inches at 50% discount so I picked up an armload or two of poplar in various lengths and widths. There wasn’t much maple to chose from but I bought everything that was useable. I will glue them up and mill some drawer stock. There wasn’t enough so next trip, I will pick up some rough maple and mill it down.
For the counter top, we have it narrowed down to one of three Silestone colors.
Overall, it should turn out pretty nice.
Our goal is to have it finished before Christmas dinner is served!
Construction actually started this evening. We ran all of the boards for the face frames through the drum sander and then jointed one edge. Next up is to start milling the face frame pieces and then assemble everything. I will build the carcases after the face frames are built.
-- Handcrafted by Mike Henderson - Channelview, Texas