I have been really busy lately building a couple of my coolers. The miter saw station is working out great. I still have to make drawer fronts and install them and finalize the dust collection system.
So, I looked around and realized my drill press was just in the way with no easy way of moving it without literally picking it up and moving it onto the work table.
So, I devised a plan. :-) After browsing the internet and checking out projects fellow LJ’ers have posted, I decided to build a stand with several drawers to hold all of my stuff.Stuff:
- Drill bits of varying style, size – some of which are in cases and some are loose in the drawer.
- Forstner bits – some in a case, some loose and a couple are really big.
- Hole saws – up to 5 inches in diameter.
- Assorted accessories like key chucks chamfer bits and other misc stuff I have collected over the years.
Here is what I started with. A bench top drill press from Northern tool with 3/4HP motor sitting on a B&D Workmate. I had previously built a table for the drill press but it is going to be replaced by the one described in ShopNotes Issue #94.
I didn’t have enough plywood so I bought a sheet of Maple at Lowe’s. I had a $10 discount card so that helped.
I cut two sides, a top and a bottom piece and a couple of pieces for the back. Also, I attached a 1/2 inch wide piece across the top and a three inch piece across the bottom in the front. The two raw edges were covered with some 3/4 inch maple I had in the scrap pile.
I cut the sheet down to rough size with a track saw. I doubled when I cut the sides. :-)
Before doing any assembly, I decided how many drawers and what size I would need. That turned out to be fairly easy. I will build all four drawers 4 inches deep. That means the bottom drawer will actually be a tray to hold my two vises and whatever else I can pile in there. :-)
Next up was assembly of the mobile base purchased from Harbor freight. Twenty percent off made it $31 and some change. I have the same base on my band saw so this should have been a breeze. Right? Not hardly.
I followed the directions and milled a 2×4 into 1 1/4×1 1/4 pieces. Then I cut them according to instructions. A trial fit showed everything was too short. So I cut the long ones shorter and made two new long sides. I guess I was just goofy because the instructions are correct . The side boards must be cut so the rear wheels can fit into the frame. :-(
After putting this thing together and taking it apart several times, I finally got a good fit. The only problem is the front casters weren’t high enough to provide enough ground clearance for my very unlevel concrete garage floor. So, I took them off and added a couple of washers to each one (front casters). that solved the problem and it moves easily around the shop.
One additional step I took was to drill a hole in each of the corner brackets so I could bolt the cabinet to each piece. A 5/16 inch bolt/washer/nut has the cabinet securely mounted in place. I marked the holes with masking tape and drew an arrow to each one. I drilled these. They weren’t part of the kit.
I made a top for the stand from part of a solid core door which was left over from when I built my work table. It is 1 3/4 inch thick. I trim it slightly to get the sides even, then I attached an edge band made of 1/2 inch Baltic Birch. Still making use of the stuff I have available to use. since the door has a particle board core, I used a goodly ( :-) ) amount of glue, countersunk screws and lots of clamps. Hopefully it will stay together for a long time. I covered the top with some white Formica I had on hand. After all was said and done, I trimmed the Formica, then ran a chamfer bit around the top to ease the sharp edge.
Here is the cabinet painted and installed on the base.
And VOILA! My job here is complete! Well, almost. I still have drawers to build and the table. Note that I mounted the drill press to the stand by bolting through the top and the plywood top of the stand by using 3/8 inch x 5 inch bolts/ washers/lock washers and nuts. BTW, this setup is really stable. That had been my main concern from the very beginning.
And I just devised a plan to make an adapter so I can bolt my bench vise to the drill press base! :-) I sent my buddy a note requesting for a piece of plate to make an adapter. He usually has all sorts of stuff laying around his shop also!
Hope you liked this post. i will post pics of the table build when I get it going.
-- Handcrafted by Mike Henderson - Channelview, Texas