With my tool box where I want it to be from now on, and one cabinet set in place, it was time to modify my electrical receptacle. I have been using this single receptacle with a 6 outlet adapter for 20 years. It is time for a makeover!
First thing I did was determine which breaker fed the existing receptacle. That only took two tries! :-) I even used a Klein circuit breaker finder but it didn’t do as good a job as I expected. But I managed to isolate the power. Since I am the only one here this week, I was good to go.
If you look closely at this picture, you can see the existing receptacle.
A trip to my local big box store provided a few things I needed to go along with the supplies I had on hand.
I removed the existing receptacle box and mounted a conduit box a little to the right and a little lower on the wall so the conduit would run easily beneath the cabinets. It is attached firmly to the wall stud.
After re-routing the romex through a plastic bushing into the box, I closed up the old hole in the sheetrock and patched it up with drywall mud. After it was painted, it simply disappeared.
I decided to put only one receptacle in this particular box so I would have room to tie in the wires. That turned out to be a good move on my part.
After some careful measurements, I cut the 1/2 inch EMT tubing and installed two more boxes. Each is mounted to a wall stud.
Don’t let the camera angle fool ya, everything is level, at least it is according to my 4 foot level. :-)
Time to close it up.
After some touch up painting, the wall looks like new.
Hurray! My mods passed the smoke test! :-)
This brings me up to date. I have my work bench cleared and ready to assemble cabinet number two.
-- Handcrafted by Mike Henderson - Channelview, Texas