Finally, I am making some progress. The first two cabinets are being made from A/B Sanded pine plywood. Since I am painting them, they should look OK when I get through.
I forgot to mention in the first entry that I am using pocket hole construction to build the cabinets. No glue is used except where I attach the French cleat to the back of the cabinet. I glued and screwed it. I used this series of Kreg videos as my inspiration and I sorta followed the guys path of construction.
I have a pocket hole jig that I bought last year. It works pretty good for me. I attached the dust collector shroud and usually connect it to a Bucket Max from Lowe’s. It provides good suction and generally helps keep the board sucked to the jig when I am moving it around and setting up to drill the next hole.
It hangs on the wall when not in use.
As stated previously, I built two cabinets and mounted them on the wall using French cleats. One cabinet would have been hard for me to mount by myself. So I built two of them.
I painted the pieces before assembly. Much easier on my tired old aching arms. A coat of primer and two coats of Battleship Gray! :-)
And here are the cabinets hung and stocked with all of my paints and stains that I normally use. I am a pretty happy camper.
I may add another shelf later but for now, that is all I am going to do until it is time to build the face frames.
Note: To drill the shelf pin holes, I bought the Kreg Shelf Pin Jig. That thing works great. I wish it was longer, but I made it. I even helped a friend that needed shelf pins for her entertainment center. I was able to set up a spacer and drill the holes for her. Perfect!
Stay tuned. Don’t touch that dial. The next entry will be the construction of the cabinets that will be mounted on the wall above the rolling tool box.
-- Handcrafted by Mike Henderson - Channelview, Texas