Finally, some progress. I have the basic part of the podium assembled and dry fit. So far, everything is fitting perfect. I spent a lot of time sanding the other day. Thank goodness I finally got my air conditioner going so the garage was a cool 77 instead of the 97 from just a week or two ago.
Pic #1 – Kinda hard to tell in this pic but I am building the drawer and the top as a separate unit that fits inside the sides and front. Pocket screw construction with a little dab of glue here and there is holding the frame work together.
Note: I used a spiral upcut router bit designed for the plywood which is a little smaller than 1/4 inch (I forgot the measurement). Woodcraft carries the three bit set made by Whitesides. It worked great.
The drawer hardware is Rockler Topslide Low Profile full extension with 75# capacity. Hopefully it will last a long time.
The bottom and the shelf are identical. I used a 2 3/4 inch front edge band, cut the relief on the band saw and sanded it down smooth with an oscillating sander and rounded the top edge with an orbital sander. I attached it to the plywood shelf with pocket screws. Came out smoooothe!
Pic #2 – I have an electrical power strip attached for dry fit before doing any staining. I wanted the screws to be right so I wouldn’t have to crawl up in that thing to install it after it is completely assembled.
Pic #3 – I made a pencil holder by routing two grooves in the center of the board. The board mounts on the top of the podium at the front. You can see it in Pic #1 sitting in place.
Pic #4-5 – I made the drawer today along with the false front. This was my first attempt at making box joints. It was a struggle but I made it.