Finished up a couple more planes.
The first has become probably my favorite user already.
This is a type 13 Stanley 5 1/2 that was purchased at a garage sale for $2. The original sweetheart iron was getting pretty short and the top is bent pretty good. I picked up a #8 that someone outfitted with a 2 3/8” iron from Erik Anton Berg. I cleaned that up and put it in the 5 1/2. At some point I will probably try straightening the original iron out, but haven’t figured out exactly how I’m going to do that.
Once again I used electrolysis to remove rust and a 3m scrub pad. I like the more patina’ed look that it makes. The tote lost its horn at some point and I will fix that some day as well. The initials R.P. we’re carved pretty deep in the tote. I side some rosewood dust and CA glue to fill it in. You can still see the initials but they aren’t quire as obvious. Perhaps I will just end up getting a replacement tote.
It was also the first that I painted the base. I used duplicolor auto paint and like the way it turned out.
The second rehab project is a Sargent 409. I’m pretty sure the rosewood tote began its life on a Stanley. The knob looks to be some sort of mahogany.
I have no clue as to the age and typing on it. The logo on the iron is indicative of a type 5 I believe, but it has a right handed thread on the depth adjuster that I think wasn’t present on that type.
This guy will likely end up on eBay because I don’t think I am smart enough to have different depth adjusters in my user collection.