14 Feb 2015
Much further along the project of no return.
Sanding and some oiling with gluing up the base unit and arms.
Seems it was a bit anti-climatic when making the arms. Now, that’s OK with me.
Even though they do look a little frankenstein like it was a good recovery and taught me some new skills and ideas! I did use some black dyed epoxy to fill in some small gaps but does look good.
After sanding and some oiling I’ve assembled the first baseframe. I’m quite pleased on how it has come together. I made the end caps for the posts and plugs for the attachment points from mesquite. Left these to be somewhat proud and not totally smooth, the client will, in time, rub these smooth. The extended spline is good place for them to start. Still need to peg the legs to the rails.
For an added feature I’ve inlayed a couple of pieces of turquoise on to an arms open features. I did this with the clients coffee table last year and thought she’d enjoy this unexpected touch. Hope to add more on the other base as well.
So, next steps are to assemble the second base and begin the back frames.
-- T Loftus -- Just on the edge of common sense