23 Jan 2015
Update from somewhere up the dark river of no return.
Spent some time repairing the dewalt and porter cable sanders (new pads,dust bags and switches). Work like new now. No more flying discs about the shop, this only enticed the shop cat into fits of apoplexy.
Finished the fit for the corbels. Angled the back corbels to the slope of the leg top. Gee, it actually works.
Rounded over the pieces for first chair and sanded them to 220. The mesquite and cherry really shine now. Fitted the keyed mesquite blanks into the side slats leaving a reveal. Adds a nice spatial look and feel.
Marked and, using the floor mortiser, set a 5/16 mortise where the pins will be used to lock the tenons. Dry assembled the frame.
Finished off the day with an “Arrogant Bastard” ale and a cigar. One more base frame and then on to the arms.
The Luddite abides.
21 Jan 2015
Well, didn’t get as far as I wished as being retired my time is not mine to chose.
Slats for the chair sides
Milled a .75 board to make the four cherry center slats.
Made the mesquite slats by first cross cutting a 1 inch board into four 15 inch pieces, ripping the pieces to 5/8 and joining the edges to make the slats. Why? Needed the extra width and rather then planing it all away. Finally planned all pieces to 1/2 inch.
Here are the slats and the ‘butterfly’ 1/4 inch stock from a re-sawn piece of mesquite.
Had some ideas for the chair side of an intricate craftsman design emoting a time long past.
Sensing I’m purposely delaying my advance up the dark river I decided on a simplified yet craftsman concept. Inlaying two horizontal keys of mesquite into the center cherry slat and adding two other mesquite slats on either side. This will work out for my client as I’ve used this motif on their other living room pieces.
Mortised the upper and lower side rails to receive the slats. Made things easier when doing the upper side rails by using the cutoff piece to keep things level.
Prepared the corbels and completed the mortises to receive.
Had to replace the sanding pads on both of my sanders as well as a new dust bag for the dw421. I was running straight on this for awhile! Another reason for delay.
I’m not quite ready to loathe this project yet but I’m sure I’ve ample time to decide.
Next week…... Sanding, sanding and some more sanding.
-- T Loftus -- Just on the edge of common sense