13 Jan 2015
Past few days I’ve completed the leg blanks.
Prepared the upper and lower side rails with stub tenons. Using a taper jig cut the top rails to match the desired angle.
Cut and sized the front and back rails along with the seat support cleats.
Once done with these I carefully marked each leg with the mortise positions making sure of their relative locations. Two lefts don’t make a right.
Mortising was a long grueling smoking endeavor. At first I’d not planned on through tenons as I’d not be able to produce a suitable a 2 and 3/8 deep tenon due to blade depth. After pondering this I decided to make a through mortise and at the end used some mesquite for end plugs on each joint. Plenty of tenon, 1.75 in in the 2.25 leg and room for a plug. I think it’ll look nice since all the other pieces I’ve done for this client had through tenons in places.
Fitting the tenons was easily done since I’d used a good tenon jig all my cuts were exactly what was needed.
Dry fitted all the bits and now need to is.
Finished attaching the cleats.
Position and drill pivot hole in rear legs.
Prepare the sides for mesquite slats.
Sand and prep for assembly.
So far it’s been good but the Arms concern me greatly.
-- T Loftus -- Just on the edge of common sense