Well… a couple of days of intense learning. Chopped some mortises with my drill press, not very happy with them, machine has way to much runout. You can see them on the left.
So I made a mortising jig for my router, inspired by this post:
The mortises on the right (above) were cut with this jig.
I made some upgrades to the jig. I scribed centre lines before drilling for the router, then mounted a 1/4 inch brad point drill bit in the router, centered it, drilled out the hole with the router, locked the router down with the bit through the hole then flipped it over and marked the mounting holes. Now I can line up the center line with a marked center line on the workpiece, saves me time and bit changes trying to find the center.
Next I realized that the way I was cutting tenons (tablesaw as planer) was taking way too long! So I built a tenoning jig.
This thing works awesome! Also needed a hold down for the jig so I made some hold downs.
These also work awesome, and were super quick to make… really appreciating my jig and fixture kit from Lee Valley these days.
The top piece on the mirrors is a lap joint, didn’t quite cut them deep enough and spent a lot of time with chisel and file getting them to fit properly so I made a chisel plane (White Oak, Purpleheart and a Maple wedge) (Inspired by Garage Woodworks… Thanks!)
At first it didn’t cut too well so I lowered the bed angle, but that made the chisel handle touch the bed so I had to cut some of the bed out… cut too far so I drilled out the gash in the body and plugged it with purpleheart and oak plugs. Now it works great.
Tomorrow (or soon after) I will post some pics of the actual frame. And more details on all the mistakes I made! :)